RFR(M): 8203826: Chain class initialization exceptions into later NoClassDefFoundErrors

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Sun Jul 1 21:48:10 UTC 2018

Hi Volker,

This doesn't really address any of the concerns I had with the original
proposal - it just moves the "field" from the Java side to the VM side.
There is still a massive amount of Java code execution in relation to
this - which itself may encounter secondary exceptions. It's very hard
to tell if you will leave things in a suitable state if such exceptions
arise.

My position remains that the primary place to deal with the
initialization error is when initialization occurs and the error
happens. Subsequent attempted uses of the erroneous class may benefit
from some additional information about the nature of the original
exceptions, but I don't think full stacktraces are necessary or
desirable (and I do believe they will confuse most users given the lack
of continuity in the stack frames and that they may have happened in a
different thread!).

That aside ...

There appears to a race on constructing the Hashtable. At least it was
not obvious to me where a lock may be held during that process.

I can't determine that clearing backtrace in removeNativeBacktrace is
correct with respect to the overall protocol within Throwable for
dealing with backtrace and stackTrace. I have to wonder why nothing in
Throwable clears the backtrace today ?

I'm not clear why you record the ExceptionInInitializerError wrapper
instead of the actual exception that occurred?

Throwable states:

+      * This method is currently only called from the VM for instances of
+      * ExceptionInInitializerError which are stored for later chaining
into a
+      * NoClassDefFoundError in order to prevent keeping classes from
the native
+      * backtrace alive.
+      */

but IIUC it will also be called for instances of Error that occurred
which do not get wrapped in EIIE.

Regards,
David
------