RFR (11): 8205878: pthread_getcpuclockid is expected to return 0 code

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu Jul 5 22:40:06 UTC 2018

Hi Chris,

Thanks for looking at this.

Updated webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dholmes/8205878/webrev.v2/

Only real changes in ji05t001.c. (And fixed typo in the new test)

More below ...

On 6/07/2018 7:55 AM, Chris Plummer wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Solaris problems aside, overall it looks fine. Some minor things I noted:
>
> I noticed that exitCode is never modified in agentA() or agentB(), so
> there isn't much point to having it. If you reach the bottom of the
> function, it passed, so PASSED can be returned. The code would be more
> clear if it did this. As-is it is implied that you can reach the bottom
> when it fails.

I resisted any and all urges to do any kind of unrelated code cleanup in
the tests - once you start you may end up doing a full rewrite.

> Is detaching the threads along the failure paths really needed? exit()
> is called, so this would seem to make it unnecessary.

You're right that isn't necessary. I'll remove the changes from before
the exits in ji05t001.c

> I prefer assignments not to be embedded inside the "if" condition. The
> DetachCurrentThread code in THREAD_return() is much more readable than
> the similar code in agentA() and agentB().

It's an existing style already used in that test e.g.

  287     if ((res =
  288             JNI_ENV_PTR(vm)->AttachCurrentThread(
  289                 JNI_ENV_ARG(vm, (void **) &env), (void *) 0)) != 0) {

and I don't mind it, so I'd prefer not to change it.

> In the test:
>
>    54         // Generally as long as we don't crash of throw unexpected
>    55         // exceptions then the test passes. In some cases we know
> exactly
>
> "of" should be "or".

Well spotted. Thanks.

> Shouldn't you be catching exceptions for all the Thread methods you are
> calling? Otherwise the test will exit if one is thrown, and the above
> comment indicates that you don't want this.

I'm not expecting there to be any exceptions from any of the called
methods. That would potentially indicate a problem in handling the
terminated native thread, so would indicate a test failure.

> Don't we normally put these tests in a package?

Doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rule. I only uses packages when
they are important for the test. In runtime we have 905 java files and
only 116 have a package statement. It varies elsewhere.