RFR(M): 8203824: Chain exception from initialization in later NoClassDefFoundErrors.

Lindenmaier, Goetz goetz.lindenmaier at sap.com
Tue Jun 5 13:21:31 UTC 2018

Hi David,

I also would prefer to keep this field within hotspot.

The reason we use a Java function is that that
also calls out to a routine that transforms the
backtrace to stackTrace recursively for the chained
exceptions, which was implemented in Java.
We did this to make sure we don't keep any classes
alive that are referenced by the backtrace.
I didn't include that (yet), because that calls back into
the VM ...
Do you think I should address this issue right away,
or do you think it's overly cautious to free the backtrace?

Best regards,
  Goetz.