RFR(s): 8203343: VM.{metaspace|classloaders|classhierarchy...} jcmd should show invocation targets for Generated{Method|Constructor}AccessorImpl classes

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 19:51:01 UTC 2018

Thank you Serguei!

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 9:14 PM, serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com
<serguei.spitsyn at oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> The update looks good to me.
>
> Thanks,
> Serguei
>

> On 6/14/18 04:30, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> hopefully last changes, with feedback added from Coleen and David.
>>
>> Only changes in the provided regression test: I run it now with
>> -Dsun.reflect.noInflation to make the test independent from the
>> reflection inflation threshold. I also corrected the copyright dates.
>>
>> Delta:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~stuefe/webrevs/8203343-VM.metaspace-show-reflection-invocation-targets/webrev.01-to-02/webrev/
>> Full:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~stuefe/webrevs/8203343-VM.metaspace-show-reflection-invocation-targets/webrev.02/webrev/
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Thomas
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 6:05 PM, Thomas Stüfe <thomas.stuefe at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> may I please have feedback and if possible reviews for this small
>>> addition:
>>>
>>> CR: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8203343
>>> Webrev:
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~stuefe/webrevs/8203343-VM.metaspace-show-reflection-invocation-targets/webrev.00/webrev/
>>>
>>> (Note: this patch goes atop of
>>> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8203682, which is currently
>>> up for RFR).
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> When analyzing situations involving a lot of reflection, one often
>>> stares at walls of "GeneratedXXXAccessorXXX" classes. These names are
>>> generated and not at all helpful in analyzing the problem (e.g. which
>>> component in a server node does this much reflection and hence uses so
>>> much metaspace).
>>>
>>> This patch adds the ability to print out invocation targets
>>> additionally to class names if the class is a generated accessor - for
>>> now this ability has been added to VM.metaspace, VM.classloaders and
>>> VM.class_hierarchy.
>>>
>>> Example output from "VM.class_hierarchy":
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> |--jdk.internal.reflect.MagicAccessorImpl/null
>>> <snip>
>>> |  |
>>> |--jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor18/0x00007f9ee8350c10
>>> (invokes:
>>> org/springframework/boot/context/properties/ConfigurationPropertiesBindingPostProcessorRegistrar::<init>
>>> ()V)
>>> |  |
>>> |--jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor17/0x00007f9ee8349c00
>>> (invokes:
>>> org/springframework/boot/context/properties/EnableConfigurationPropertiesImportSelector$ConfigurationPropertiesBeanRegistrar::<init>
>>> ()V)
>>> <snip>
>>> |  |
>>> |--jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor23/0x00007f9ec8329b60
>>> (invokes: org/apache/tomcat/util/modeler/AttributeInfo::setIs (Z)V)
>>> |  |
>>> |--jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor22/0x00007f9ee831bc70
>>> (invokes:
>>> org/springframework/boot/autoconfigure/SpringBootApplication::exclude