8205054: Could not find "lsof" on test machine

Leo Korinth leo.korinth at oracle.com
Fri Jun 15 08:06:14 UTC 2018

Hi David.

On 15/06/18 04:08, David Holmes wrote:
> Sorry after doing more testing and looking at the output I think we need
> to do better. For a machine with no lsof we see:
>
> using command: <not found>
> (Second VM) Open file descriptors:
>
> using command: <not found>
> (Third VM) Open file descriptors:
>
> VM RESULT => RETAINS FD
> VM RESULT => VM EXIT
>
> Log file was not inherited by third VM
> ---
>
> That looks like an error is occurring to me and that we pass by
> accident. I think we need to terminate the test, cleanly of course, as
> soon as we can't find the tool and report that the test can't run
> because of that.

I could change the output to "using command: <not found, terminating
test as successful as we can not finish it in a meaningful way>" or
maybe something else that you prefer that is better.

I do believe this is the easy way to terminate the test cleanly without
leaving running JVMs. We need to communicate back to the first JVM that
the test was successful. Is it the string "<not found>" that looks like
an error and that we pass by accident? Or is it something in the test
case code that looks fishy?

Or maybe the comment should be improved?
   // if command can not be found return list without log file (some
machines does not have "lsof" in the expected place). (add this->)The
empty list will make the test exit successfully.(<-add this)

> On 15/06/2018 11:21 AM, David Holmes wrote:
>> Hi Leo,
>>
>> This is what I was concerned about - and yes the CI testing did shake
>> it out in a few cycles.
>>
>> I agree with the fix and will sponsor it for you.

Thanks David.
/Leo