RFR(M): 8204908: NVDIMM for POGC and G1GC - ReserveSpace.cpp changes are mostly eliminated/no collector specific code.

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 11:40:22 UTC 2018

Hi Vinay,

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Awasthi, Vinay K
<vinay.k.awasthi at intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Os::commit_memory calls map_memory_to_file which is same as os::reserve_memory.
>
> I am failing to see why os::reserve_memory can call map_memory_to_file (i.e. tie it to mmap) but commit_memory can't... Before this patch, commit_memory never dealt with incrementally committing pages to device so there has to be a way to pass file descriptor and offset. Windows has no such capability to manage incremental commits. All other OSes do and that is why map_memory_to_file is used (which by the way also works on Windows).

AIX uses System V shared memory by default, which follows a different
allocation scheme (semantics more like Windows VirtualAlloc... calls).

But my doubts are not limited to that one, see my earlier replies and
those of others. It really makes sense to step back one step and
discuss the JEP first.

BTW, I openend https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8205335, could
you please take a look?

Thanks, Thomas