RFR(XS): 8205195 NestedThreadsListHandleInErrorHandlingTest fails because hs_err doesn't contain _nested_thread_list_max

Daniel D. Daugherty daniel.daugherty at oracle.com
Thu Jun 21 00:18:17 UTC 2018

Greetings,

I have a fix for a recent (very rare) Thread-SMR related test failure.

Since the fix is related to the ErrorHandling tests and affects hs_err_pid
file generation, this code review is being sent to both the Runtime and
the Serviceability teams. Please make sure you reply-all to any responses
so we have complete review threads on both aliases.

Bug URL: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8205195

Webrev URL: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dcubed/8205195-webrev/0-for-jdk-jdk/

The bug itself contains analysis about the root cause of the bug and
the comment updates to the code describes the no win scenario that the
hs_err_pid file generation code is in. Of course, I also have a comment
where I was able to harden the ErrorHandling tests. I did manage to
resist the urge to mention the "Kobiyashi Maru" [1] in the new comments.

Testing: Mach5 builds-tier1,jdk-tier1,jdk-tier2,hs-tier1,hs-tier2,hs-tier3
          on the usual Oracle platforms.

Thanks, in advance, for any comments, questions or suggestions.

Dan

[1] https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Kobayashi%20Maru