RFR(XS): 8205195 NestedThreadsListHandleInErrorHandlingTest fails because hs_err doesn't contain _nested_thread_list_max

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 06:53:54 UTC 2018

Hi Daniel,

yes, that is annoying.

I am okay with your fix, if you want to push it in this form.

But preparing the test crash in this way feels weird since the whole
point of this exercise is to test error handling in close-to-real
scenarios... but it sure does not hurt in this case.

Also, note that at different places we decide differently, see e.g.
the "printing heap information" STEP - we omit locking Heap_lock in
VMError::report() and only lock it in VMError::print_vm_info() (where
we have no secondary signal handling and must not crash). So, in that
case we are okay with risking a secondary crash in error handling.
Probably there are just no regression tests for the heap information
printout whose intermittent fails could annoy us :)

My feeling is that I would like to see a solution at the test
framework side. Maybe, if a test is marked as "may fail rarely and
thats okay", the test framework could retry the test and only fail if
the error happens again.

Thanks, Thomas