RFR: JDK-8199781: Don't use naked == for comparing oops

Erik Österlund erik.osterlund at oracle.com
Wed Mar 28 15:04:21 UTC 2018

Hi Roman,

On 2018-03-28 16:03, Roman Kennke wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> Thanks for this work!
>
> without having looked too deeply at the code (it might be in vain
> anyway, what with all the template voodoo stuff going on :-P), I have a
> few conceptual questions:
>
> - For the issue at hand (replacing naked == with oopDesc::equals() or
> such), wouldn't it have been enough to mark it with the
> INTERNAL_BT_TO_SPACE_INVARIANT decorator, to get inlining for
> non-Shenandoah (or more generally, non-to-space-invariant) builds. ?

I have done that as well to get inlining for non-to-space-invariant
builds. But obviously, by moving e.g. Handles::operator == to the cpp
file, and oopDesc::equals to the cpp file, you broke inlining anyway. To
get the inlining back, choices were considering comparing two naked oops
as not trivial and hence forcing all transitive dependencies to code
that compares two naked oops to move to .inline.hpp files, or to make it
allowed from .hpp files. This is my solution for allowing existing
callsites that compare naked oops in .hpp files (because it was IMO
rightfully considered trivial), to remain in .hpp files, and preserve
all inlining. Therefore, only looking for that build-time decorator
would not have been enough to make this legally allowed from .hpp files,
because the very logic for folding away the non-to-space-invariant path
was in access.inline.hpp.There must also exist a path for the
non-to-space-invariant build from hpp files only to get to get to the GC
backend implementation, which relies on .inline.hpp file support. That
is why I have shuffled things around to be able to reach all the way up
until but not including barrier resolution through the hpp files, and be
able to finish the rest of the path in access.cpp for selected operations.

> - What is the advantage of this refactoring? It is a refactoring, right?
> or do we get new features here?

This is a refactoring that allows using Access<>::equals() from old
header files that have been included all over the place, that have used
raw oop comparisons in .hpp files in the past. One alternative is moving
the caller of Access<>::equals to cpp files (and I heard objections to
that from both Andrew Haley and John Rose, arguing that this should be a
fast operation, and losing the inlining purely because of file
dependency technicalities would be a shame). Another alternative is
moving these callsites out to .inline.hpp files, and then expanding the
transitive closure of required .inline.hpp dependency changes that
creates. This is my attempt at making everyone happy - maximized
inlining with or without to-space-invariant GCs in the build, without
violating transitive .inline.hpp include dependency rules, and without
having to move everything that ever transitively depends on comparing
two oops to .inline.hpp files.

> - So now we can use the Access API by only including access.hpp. Fine.
> But this comes at the cost of having actual code in .hpp files? I am not
> sure about Hotspot style, but I try to avoid actual code in .hpp files
> whenever I can, except *maybe* for the most trivial of stuff.

For now, this is only intended for Access<>::equals to solve your
problem at hand in this review: not violating transitive .inline.hpp
dependencies, while preserving inlining all the way for
non-to-space-invariant builds, and at the same time injecting variation
points for Shenandoah without any GC backend .inline.hpp dependencies
leaking into .hpp files. While this mechanism can be extended for more
operations, there is currently no need for it.

About code style of calling "actual code" from .hpp files, I agree that
it is a kind of gray area, where it is preferable to move non-trivial
things to .inline.hpp files. Comparing naked oops has been considered
trivial in the past by engineers, (despite calling oop::operator ==()
when CHECK_UNHANDLED_OOPS is enabled), or now by calling
oopDesc::equals, and I can see why. This patch allows existing code that
considered oop1 == oop2 to be trivial enough to be in a header file to
continue doing so, without violating transitive include dependency rules.

Thanks,
/Erik