RFR(M): 8200126: [TESTBUG] Open source VM runtime signal tests

mikhailo mikhailo.seledtsov at oracle.com
Wed Mar 28 22:15:14 UTC 2018

Hi David,

   Thank you for reviewing the change. Please see my comments inline.

On 03/27/2018 07:23 PM, David Holmes wrote:
> Hi Misha,
>
> For the benefit of the broader community these are very old tests
> related to the use of ligjsig, that were recently converted to be
> jtreg tests in preparation for open sourcing them. If there were to be
> written from scratch today I expect they would be in a somewhat
> different form, but the aim here is to open source them, not rewrite
> them.
Thank you for details about the background.

> Also note that these tests would only fail by crashing (shouldn't
> happen) or "hanging". If the signal is not delivered then the test
> will wait for it until eventually being timed-out by jtreg.
> On 28/03/2018 11:52 AM, Mikhailo Seledtsov wrote:
>> Please review: open sourcing vm signal tests.
>>
>>      JBS: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8200126
>>      Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mseledtsov/8200126.00.open/
>
> All of the signal tests should work everywhere except Windows, so I
> think the @requires should just exclude windows. In particular I would
> expect them to also run on AIX.
OK, will do.

> ---
>
>  make/test/JtregNativeHotspot.gmk
>
> I think you need to rebase your changes as the build logic for native
> tests has completely changed recently.
Thank you, I was not aware of that. I will ask the make experts on how
to do this. Also, since I changed the make file, adding
build-dev at openjdk.java.net

> ---
>
> test/hotspot/jtreg/TEST.groups
>
> I agree with Christian that we don't need a hotspot_signal group.
>
> I'm also unclear why these tests are left to tier 4(?), though tier 3
> seems fine given we have constraints on what we can jam into tiers 1
> and 2.
I will remove the group, and add the signal test directory to tier3.

> ---
>
> test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/signal/exesigtest.c
>
> Can you please fix the typo in the name of the "sig_recieved" variable.
Will do.

> Can you confirm that all the printf output actually appears in the
> jtreg test log please.
OK, I will check that.

>>      Testing:
>>          1. Linux-x64:
>>             make run-test TEST=hotspot_signal
>>             All tests PASS
>>          2. Multi-platform automated testing: Linux-x64, Win-x64, MAC
>>             hotspot_signal, hs-tier1, hs-tier2 - in progress
>
> Must be tested on Solaris as well.
Will add Solaris for testing also.

Thank you,
Misha