RFR 8167546: enhance os::file_name_strncmp() on Mac OSX

Gerard Ziemski gerard.ziemski at oracle.com
Tue Oct 9 21:13:24 UTC 2018

Thank you Roger for the review!

> On Oct 9, 2018, at 12:11 PM, Roger Riggs <roger.riggs at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Gerard,
>
> You should probably check the return values from realpath.
> The contents of the buffer is *undefined* if it fails and doesn't guarantee
> that nothing has been written to the buffer.

If I read the man page correctly: "If resolved_name was non-NULL, it will contains the pathname which caused the problem.” so it is in fact set with the problematic path, which I verified is true (on my Mac it only copies the part of the problematic path that does exist). Still I now check for “realpath” returning NULL.

> Also, strncpy doesn't guarantee to null terminate the copied string if it is as long as the buffer.
> So the strcmp (line 53) could compare off the end of the buffer.

Good point, fixed - we can’t use strncpy there (the resolved path might be longer or shorter than the original), so I had to NULL terminate the resolved path if we detect it’s too long.

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gziemski/8167546_rev5
testing: Mach5 hs-tier1,2,3,4,5,6,7 (in progress…)

cheers