RFR 8017061: os_bsd.cpp contains code for UseSHM and UseHugeTLBFS

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Fri Oct 19 01:24:26 UTC 2018

On 18/10/2018 11:35 PM, Gerard Ziemski wrote:

>> On Oct 17, 2018, at 8:38 PM, David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gerard,
>>
>> On 18/10/2018 3:14 AM, Gerard Ziemski wrote:
>>> Thank you for your reviews.

>>> Fixed.
>>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gziemski/8017061_rev2
>>
>> The flags are obsoleted not deprecated, they should be removed from the globals_bsd.hpp file.
>
> If I remove them, then VM will no longer accept them and refuse to run. I though that the purpose of the deprecate/obsolete/expire exercise is to allow the VM to accept the flags in question, so developers have the time to adapt, and only remove them later?

You don't understand the deprecation/obsoletion/expiration process.

Deprecation:
  - the code using the flag exists and works as normal
  - the flag continues to exist in globals.hpp (or variants)
  - the flag is listed as deprecated in the arguments.cpp table, for the
current version, and may have future obsoletion and expiration versions
  - if the flag is used then a deprecation warning is issued

Obsoletion:
  - the code using the flag is completely removed (assuming the flags
default value if appropriate)
  - the flag is removed from globals.hpp (or variants)
  - the table in arguments.cpp lists the flag as obsoleted in the
current release
  - if the flag is used then an obsoletion warning is issued

Expiration
  - the flag is removed from the table in arguments.cpp
  - if the flag is used the VM terminates with an "unknown VM option" error

David
-----