RFR: (S): JDK-8200613: SA: jstack throws UnmappedAddressException with a CDS core file

Jini George jini.george at oracle.com
Mon Oct 29 06:02:15 UTC 2018

Thank you very much, Ioi, for looking into this, and the clarification
offline. My bad, I had missed the earlier mail from you. :-( My

Yes, I had tested this on MacOS. The issue does not exist on MacOS since
the file backed private mmap()-ed regions get dumped into the MacOS
corefiles by default.

The corefile sizes on Linux do increase due to this change. And the
increase would also include any file mapped using NIO with
MapMode.PRIVATE. The typical corefile size increase with this change
would include the following components at a high level:

* Any NIO file mapping with MapMode.PRIVATE.
* Any file mmap()-ed by any native library with MAP_PRIVATE.
* The read only CDS regions (ro and od): Of the order of a few MB.
* The shared strings CDS region. (typically less than 1 MB).
* 2 MB per native shared library (regions with ---p permissions mapped
by the dynamic linker for better alignment and for keeping libraries
efficiently shareable).
* The JDK 'modules' file. (About 140 MB).

So, without including any NIO mapping, I typically see around 250-300 MB
increase in the corefile sizes. I agree that the size increase could be
a cause for concern, but for FWIW, these privately mapped files get
dumped into the corefile for MacOS too. And the corefile sizes for the
same program on MacOS are way larger (of the order of a few GB as
against about 300 MB on Linux (without the change)).

The advantage of fixing this by modifying the coredump_filter v/s doing
it in SA (by reading in more sections of the shared archive file) is
that this would benefit other debuggers like gdb also. (And reduces the
dependence on having the shared archive file being available at the time
of debugging). If folks still think this is a cause for concern, I could
make modifications to fix this by reading in the regions from the shared
archive file in the SA code. I also wonder if it is worth taking a
relook at the mapping types of the various CDS regions also.

Thank you,
Jini.