RFR: 8230228: [TESTBUG] Several runtime/ErrorHandling tests may fail on some platforms

Jie Fu fujie at loongson.cn
Tue Aug 27 12:56:06 UTC 2019

Hi all,

JBS:    https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8230228
Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jiefu/8230228/webrev.00/

These tests failed on our mips Fedora-21 platform.
jtreg:test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/ErrorHandling/TimeoutInErrorHandlingTest.java
jtreg:test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/ErrorHandling/ErrorFileRedirectTest.java
jtreg:test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/ErrorHandling/BadNativeStackInErrorHandlingTest.java
jtreg:test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/ErrorHandling/SafeFetchInErrorHandlingTest.java

The reason is that memory access to address 0xABC0000000000ABCULL, which
is returned by VMError::get_segfault_address() [1], trigers SIGBUS, not
SIGSEGV, on our platform.
Please note that it seems there is no way to guarantee to generate
SIGSEGV by accessing an specific invalid memory address for all
platforms [2].
Could you please review it and give me some advice?

Thanks a lot.
Best regards,
Jie

[1]