RFR(S) 8218751 Do not store original classfiles inside the CDS archive

Jiangli Zhou jianglizhou at google.com
Tue Feb 19 04:12:02 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:33 AM Ioi Lam <ioi.lam at oracle.com> wrote:

> On 2/15/19 7:11 PM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 6:56 PM Ioi Lam <ioi.lam at oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/15/19 4:54 PM, Jiangli Zhou wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> To answer your use case question, one of the case reported last year in
>> OpenJDK was JRebel (please go back to the hotspot-dev mail list 2018
>> Oct. archive). That is an existing example as I've tried to point out in my
>> earlier email.
>>
>> First of all, if you read the email carefully, CDS was not even in their
>> usual test matrix. Also, if you're modifying classes on the fly, you're
>> slowing down start-up big time. A few ms spent in decoding the classfile
>> data will be completely drown out by the overhead of the classfile parsing
>> and patching code in the JVMTI agent.
>>
>> So no, JRebel will not start up a few % faster if CDS stores the
>> classfile data. It will most likely be not measurable.
>>

> My understanding of the case is that their users generated a CDS archive
> and used it together with JRebel. That's why the issue was unnoticed until
> their users reported. There are use cases out there in the community that
> we simply are not aware of, so it would not be wise to assume there is no
> usage.
>
> Just to confirm one thing -- you do not dispute my claim that this
> "optimization" has no benefits even for those that actually use CDS and
> CFLH together. Correct?

That's actually the part that I have a different opinion. With the proposed
change in the current webrev, the performance hit is across the board for
redefined/retransformed, as long as the can_generate_all_class_hook_events
capability is enabled.

> We have plenty of nice-to-have harmless optimizations in HotSpot that
> probably weren't vigorously validated. However, this is not one of them.
>
> Here we have clear evidence of harm (50% footprint increase), with no
> evidence of benefit (theoretical or real-life). This code was checked into
> HotSpot without proper validation. That was wrong, and that's why I am
> taking it out now.
>
> It's easy to prove me wrong. Just supply a proper benchmark that shows
> benefits, and I will change my mind. That's the minimal standard for an
> optimization that has harmful side effects. I have created JDK-8219255 for
> tracking this.

Looks like there is a deadlock in the discussion. To summarize and help
move this forward. Here are your reasons for dropping the 'od' space:

   - static footprint increase due to 'od' space
   - no benefit
   - maintenance of the code

Regarding static footprint, the change proposed in the current webrev is a
short-term and temporary solution. For a long-term solution, the original
class files can be removed from the final image created by jlink when jlink
can work with CDS to produce a single runtime image.

On the benefit side, the 'od' space provides both startup speedup and
runtime memory saving (when can_generate_all_class_hook_events capability
is enabled), which I've already pointed those out in earlier emails.

For maintenance, it is also not an issue with the support from the
community (I'll for sure to continue contributing to it). What's more
important is to continue keeping CDS/AppCDS moving in the right direction
by providing more performance & memory benefits and making it easier to use.

So I think providing a command-line option, -XX:EnableOptionalDataSpace
that allows user to enable/disable the 'od' space at both dump time and
runtime is the best choice that can work with the short-term fix proposed
in the current webrev.

Thanks,
Jiangli

Thanks,