RFR(L): 8218628: Add detailed message to NullPointerException describing what is null.

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 14:02:01 UTC 2019

On 21/02/2019 12:57, Lindenmaier, Goetz wrote:
> thanks for giving this advice!  It confirms the problems I see.

You are welcome.

> For the context:
> The idea was to implement this in Java using StackWalker and
> ASM. If I had the right bytecodes, and the right starting point,
> ASM would be helpful to implement the analysis I think.

Ok. However, if you have the appropriate method bytecodes and the BCI at
which the exception occurred then I'm not sure why you would need ASM.

Also, it was not strictly correct when I said all that is retained is
the method bytecodes. Exception tables, line number tables and local var
name & type tables are also retained.

regards,

Andrew Dinn