RFR(S): 8227255: Switchable helpful NullPointerExceptions

Lindenmaier, Goetz goetz.lindenmaier at sap.com
Thu Jul 4 10:35:48 UTC 2019

Hi,

please review this small change.
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~goetz/wr19/8227255-NPE-switchable/01/

It will be part of JEP 8220715.

The exception messages proposed there will first be
off per default. After gathering experience, they
will be turned on per default.
I was asked to use a manageable flag so it can be switched
by jcmd.

The flag: SuppressCodeDetailsInExceptionMessages
  "Suppress"  because the feature is meant to be on per
                       default in the long run. Then you'll have to
                       use -XX:_+_ if using the switch.
  "CodeDetails" tries to summarize the concerns with
  the message.

The flag does not mention NPE so it can  be used in
other, similar cases.

If there are not objections to the flag name, I'll file a
CSR.  Or should I wait with the CSR until the JEP is
targeted?

Best regards,
  Goetz.