RFR(S): 8227122: [TESTBUG] Create Docker sidecar test cases

mikhailo.seledtsov at oracle.com mikhailo.seledtsov at oracle.com
Wed Jul 10 02:45:38 UTC 2019

Hi Bob,

On 7/3/19 7:49 AM, Bob Vandette wrote:
> Very nice addition to ensuring support for popular docker use cases.
Thank you for reviewing the change.

> A few comments on the TestJcmdWithSideCar.java
>
> 1. Shouldn’t you use @requires to only run this test on Linux x64?
>  CanTestDocker should
> protect us but your test wouldn’t run on windows if we added docker
> support there.

Looks like all other Docker tests in this directory use "@requires
docker.support". This can be handy for other platforms, such as
Linux-arm, Linux-PPC. Also, for development purposes, a user can run
tests on Mac by simple temporary modification to docker.support.

Unless you have strong position on this, I would like to continue using
just "@requires docker.support".

> 2. Why is this repeated?
>   149             "--pid=container:" + MAIN_CONTAINER_NAME,
>   150             "--pid=container:" + MAIN_CONTAINER_NAME,
Good catch. Will fix it.
> 3. I’m a little concerned about the built in fixed delays especially
> the startMainContainer one.
> We don’t want any intermittent test failures. Could you maybe add a
> DockerThread.checkIsAlive
> function and call that every second for 20 seconds and then give up?
Sounds good, I will do it the way you recommend.

> What tier are you adding this test to?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob.

I will upload the second webrev after I update the changes and retest.

Thank you,

Misha