RFR(S): 8227122: [TESTBUG] Create Docker sidecar test cases

Severin Gehwolf sgehwolf at redhat.com
Wed Jul 17 13:23:29 UTC 2019

Hi Misha,

On Tue, 2019-07-16 at 09:48 -0700, mikhailo.seledtsov at oracle.com wrote:
> Hi Severin, Bob,
>
>     Here is an updated webrev that should address all of your feedback:
>
>      http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mseledtsov/8227122.01/
>
> To summarize the changes since webrev 00:
>
>       - using 'docker ps' to wait until the "main" container starts
>
>       - removed use of --ipc=shareable (not needed)
>
>       - added comments regarding sharing of /tmp
>
>       - using docker volumes ("--volumes-from") to share /tmp between
> the containers instead of mapping to host directories (avoids potential
> access/permission problems)
>
>       - few other minor changes and cleanup

Looks good. A few nits:

+    static class DockerThread extends Thread {
+        DockerRunOptions runOpts;
+        OutputAnalyzer out;

'out' instance variable is never used and could get removed. I don't
need to see another webrev for this.

+    // The "sidecar" container shares "/tmp" directory with the "main" container for the
+    // JVM attach mechanism to work. JCMD relies on the attach mechanism (com.sun.tools.attach),
+    // which in turn relies on JVMSTAT mechanism, which uses Unix socket file hsperf_<pid> residing in
+    // the /tmp directory.

I'd rephrase the last sentense to:

"""
JCMD relies on the attach mechanism (com.sun.tools.attach),
which in turn relies on JVMSTAT mechanism, which puts its mapped
buffers in /tmp directory (hsperfdata_<user>). Thus, we mount /tmp via
--volumes-from from the main container.
"""

Thanks,
Severin