RFR(S) 8227435: Perf::attach() should not throw a java.lang.Exception

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu Jul 18 05:26:05 UTC 2019

On 16/07/2019 9:42 pm, Langer, Christoph wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> looks good. Prior to pushing you’ll have to take care of the copyright years in the files you touched ��
>
> cc-ing hotspot-runtime, because I think it affects this area, too.

tl;dr - looks fine. :)

I was in two minds about this. To me this is not an I/O error so the
current use of Exception rather than IOException seemed more
appropriate. But the Java code needs to match the VM code and tweaking
the Java code to allow for the Exception would have a flow-on affect to
the whole call chain. So overall treating this case as an IOException
seems far simpler and not terribly wrong.

Cheers,
David
-----