RFR 8227528: TestAbortVMOnSafepointTimeout.java failed due to "RuntimeException: 'Safepoint sync time longer than' missing from stdout/stderr"

Patricio Chilano patricio.chilano.mateo at oracle.com
Fri Jul 26 18:46:40 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Could you review this small fix for test TestAbortVMOnSafepointTimeout.java?

The test has been failing intermittently since 8191890. As explained in
the bug comments, it turns out that a bias revocation handshake could
happen in between the start of the "for" loop without safepoint polls
and the safepoint where we want to timeout. That allows for the long
loop to actually finish and prevents the desired timeout in the later
safepoint. The simple solution is to just avoid using biased locking in
this test (and therefore prevent the revocation handshake), since we
just want to test the correct behavior of flag AbortVMOnSafepointTimeout.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~pchilanomate/8227528/v01/webrev
Bugid: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8227528

Thanks!
Patricio