RFR: 8185005: Improve performance of ThreadMXBean.getThreadInfo(long ids[], int maxDepth)

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Jul 29 07:53:09 UTC 2019

Hi Daniil,

Overall I think this is a reasonable approach but I would still like to
see some performance and footprint numbers, both to verify it fixes the
problem reported, and that we are not getting penalized elsewhere.

On 25/07/2019 3:21 am, Daniil Titov wrote:
> Hi David, Daniel, and Serguei,
>
> Please review the new version of the fix, that makes the thread table initialization on demand and
> moves it inside ThreadsList::find_JavaThread_from_java_tid(). At the creation time the thread table
>   is initialized with the threads from the current thread list. We don't want to hold Threads_lock
> inside find_JavaThread_from_java_tid(),  thus new threads still could be created  while the thread
> table is being initialized . Such threads will be found by the linear search and added to the thread table
> later, in ThreadsList::find_JavaThread_from_java_tid().

The initialization allows the created but unpopulated, or partially
populated, table to be seen by other threads - is that your intention?
It seems it should be okay as the other threads will then race with the
initializing thread to add specific entries, and this is a concurrent
map so that should be functionally correct. But if so then I think you
can also reduce the scope of the ThreadTableCreate_lock so that it
covers creation of the table only, not the initial population of the table.

I like the approach of only initializing the table when needed and using
that to control when the add/remove-thread code needs to update the
table. But I would still want to see what impact this has on thread
startup cost, both with and without the table being initialized.

> The change also includes additional optimization for some callers of find_JavaThread_from_java_tid()
> as Daniel suggested.

Not sure it's best to combine these, but if they are limited to the
changes in management.cpp only then that may be okay. It helps to be
able to focus on the table related changes without being distracted by
other optimizations.

> That is correct that ResolvedMethodTable was used as a blueprint for the thread table, however, I tried
> to strip it of the all functionality that is not required in the thread table case.

The revised version seems better in that regard. But I still have a
concern, see below.

> We need to have the thread table resizable and allow it to grow as the number of threads increases to avoid
> reserving excessive memory a-priori or deteriorating lookup times. The ServiceThread is responsible for
> growing the thread table when required.

Yes but why? Why can't this table be grown on demand by the thread that
is doing the addition? For other tables we may have to delegate to the
service thread because the current thread cannot perform the action, or
it doesn't want to perform it at the time the need for the resize is
detected (e.g. its detected at a safepoint and you want the resize to
happen later outside the safepoint). It's not apparent to me that such
restrictions apply here.

> There is no ConcurrentHashTable available in Java 8 and for backporting this fix to Java 8 another implementation
> of the hash table, probably originally suggested in the patch attached to the JBS issue, should be used.  It will make
> the backporting more complicated,  however, adding a new Implementation of the hash table in Java 14 while it
> already has ConcurrentHashTable doesn't seem  reasonable for me.

Ok.

> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dtitov/8185005/webrev.03

Some specific code comments:

src/hotspot/share/runtime/mutexLocker.cpp

+   def(ThreadTableCreate_lock       , PaddedMutex  , special,
false, Monitor::_safepoint_check_never);

I think this needs to be a _safepoint_check_always lock. The table will
be created by regular JavaThreads and they should (nearly) always be
checking for safepoints if they are going to block acquiring the lock.
And it isn't at all obvious that the thread doing the creation can't go
to a safepoint whilst this lock is held.

---

src/hotspot/share/runtime/threadSMR.cpp

Nit:

  618       JavaThread* thread = thread_at(i);

you could reuse the new java_thread local you introduced at line 613 and
just rename that "new" variable to "thread" so you don't have to change
all other uses.

628   } else if (java_thread != NULL && ...

You don't need to check != NULL here as you only get here when
java_thread is not NULL.

  755     jlong tid = SharedRuntime::get_java_tid(thread);
  926     jlong tid = SharedRuntime::get_java_tid(thread);

I think it cleaner/better to just use

jlong tid = java_lang_Thread::thread_id(thread->threadObj());

as we know thread is not NULL, it is a JavaThread and it has to have a
non-null threadObj.

---

src/hotspot/share/services/management.cpp

1323         if (THREAD->is_Java_thread()) {
1324           JavaThread* current_thread = (JavaThread*)THREAD;

These calls can only be made on a JavaThread so this be simplified to
remove the is_Java_thread() call. Similarly in other places.

---

src/hotspot/share/services/threadTable.cpp

   55 class ThreadTableEntry : public CHeapObj<mtInternal> {
   56   private:
   57     jlong _tid;

I believe hotspot style is to not indent the access modifiers in C++
class declarations, so the above would just be:

   55 class ThreadTableEntry : public CHeapObj<mtInternal> {
   56 private:
   57   jlong _tid;

etc.

  60     ThreadTableEntry(jlong tid, JavaThread* java_thread) :
  61     _tid(tid),_java_thread(java_thread) {}

line 61 should be indented as it continues line 60.

   67 class ThreadTableConfig : public AllStatic {
   71     static uintx get_hash(Value const& value, bool* is_dead) {

The is_dead parameter still bothers me here. I can't make enough sense
out of the template code in ConcurrentHashtable to see why we have to
have it, but I'm concerned that its very existence means we perhaps
should not be trying to extend CHT in this context. ??

  115   size_t start_size_log = size_log > DefaultThreadTableSizeLog
  116   ? size_log : DefaultThreadTableSizeLog;

line 116 should be indented, though in this case I think a better layout
would be:

  115   size_t start_size_log =
  116       size_log > DefaultThreadTableSizeLog ? size_log :
DefaultThreadTableSizeLog;

  131 double ThreadTable::get_load_factor() {
  132   return (double)_items_count/_current_size;
  133 }

Not sure that is doing what you want/expect. It will perform integer
division and then cast that whole integer to a double. If you want
double arithmetic you need:

return ((double)_items_count)/_current_size;

180     jlong          _tid;
181     uintx         _hash;

Nit: no need for all those spaces before the variable name.

  183     ThreadTableLookup(jlong tid)
  184     : _tid(tid), _hash(primitive_hash(tid)) {}

line 184 should be indented.

201     ThreadGet():_return(NULL) {}

Nit: need space after :

  211    assert(_is_initialized, "Thread table is not initialized");
  212   _has_work = false;

line 211 is indented one space too far.

229     ThreadTableEntry* entry = new ThreadTableEntry(tid,java_thread);

Nit: need space after ,

252   return _local_table->remove(thread,lookup);

Nit: need space after ,

------