RFR (S) 8219459: oopDesc::is_valid() is broken

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Mon May 13 18:07:24 UTC 2019

Hi Coleen, Martin,

I'm also fine with this patch. I agree this function is a bit overkillish.

Also, in Klass::is_valid(), we do:

if (!MetaspaceUtils::is_range_in_committed(k, k + 1)) return false;

which is strict but then again not really correct, since we only do test
range of the base Klass structure, excluding v/itable. We should probably
check with k->size() range instead.

Or, just do a Metaspace::contains() with the Klass pointer. I think the
cases where it points to valid Metaspace but its end does not are probably
rare.

Cheers, Thomas