os::javaTimeSystemUTC to call nanosecond precision OS API, so Clock.systemUTC() can give nanosecond precision UTC

Mark Kralj-Taylor kralj.mark at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 17:09:48 UTC 2020

David, Daniel,
What is the oldest (lowest) version of Linux and glibc for openjdk 15?

The availability of clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME) on the oldest
Linux/glibc supported by openjdk 15 is likely to be the deciding
factor on if Hotspot Linux code can call
clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME).

doc/building.md suggests minimum Linux is Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.4
(i.e. RHEL 6.4).
Which I think uses glibc 2.12-1.107 (based on
https://yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL6/4/base/x86_64/index_src.html).
Searching for glibc sources it looks like this supports
clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME).

The wording of Linux docs suggests that clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME)
should be supported if the clock_gettime() API exists. But other clock
sources are not mandatory. So CLOCK_REALTIME should be available even
if CLOCK_MONOTONIC is not.
- See: https://linux.die.net/man/2/clock_gettime.
- Also "POSIX.1-2008 marks gettimeofday() as obsolete, recommending
the use of clock_gettime(2) instead." from:
https://linux.die.net/man/2/gettimeofday

Note that Hotspot os_posix.cpp checks for non-error return from
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC) to guard setting the _clock_gettime
function pointer. Which was why in the patch I called clock_gettime
directly for Linux specific os_linux.cpp (a subset of Posix OS-s).

Also os_linux.cpp has:
#ifndef SUPPORTS_CLOCK_MONOTONIC
#error "Build platform doesn't support clock_gettime and related functionality"
#endif
Which made me wonder if openjdk might require CLOCK_MONOTONIC - which
would mean clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME) is supported.

Mark