RFR (S): 8237777 "Dumping core ..." is shown despite claiming that "# No core dump will be written."

gerard ziemski gerard.ziemski at oracle.com
Fri Apr 24 18:02:26 UTC 2020

On 4/23/20 7:55 PM, David Holmes wrote:

[trimmed]

> Given that the "Dumping core ..." is only shown in non-product builds
> I think we are way over-thinking/engineering this. We have:
>
>   if (dump_core) {
> #ifndef PRODUCT
>     out.print_raw_cr("Dumping core ...");
> #endif
>     ::abort(); // dump core
>   }
>
> so lets just change one line:
>
>     out.print_raw_cr("Requesting a core dump if possible ...");
>
> otherwise you need one boolean to control whether we call abort vs
> exit, and a second boolean to control what we print.
>
> Or change that one line to:
>
>     out.print_raw_cr("Calling ::abort() ...");

Making sure we do not mess up the core creation logic is paramount, so I
like your suggestion to keep it simple, but perhaps we can take it one
small step further and just not bother with that message at all?

Maybe we should simply remove the line:

    out.print_raw_cr("Dumping core ...");

completely? After all, we print lots of core dumping related info anyhow.

cheers