RFR(T) : 8244141 : use @requires and SkippedException in some hotspot/runtime tests

Igor Ignatyev igor.ignatyev at oracle.com
Wed Apr 29 21:55:52 UTC 2020

Hi Gerard,

> On Apr 29, 2020, at 1:35 PM, gerard ziemski <gerard.ziemski at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> hi Igor,
>

> On 4/29/20 2:06 PM, Igor Ignatyev wrote:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iignatyev//8244141/webrev.00
>>> 82 lines changed: 15 ins; 31 del; 36 mod;
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> could you please review this trivial patch for runtime tests?
>> from JBS:
>>> some hotspot/runtime tests use custom logic to skip execution when run on certain platforms and/or in configurations, more modern way to do it is to use @requires or SkippedException.
>> JBS: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8244141
>> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~iignatyev//8244141/webrev.00
>> testing: the changed tests
> Looks good.
thanks!

> In "CDSCompressedKPtrs.java" what exactly happens when we throw SkippedException? I assume we have some mechanism now to detect/report skipped tests? I like the idea.
the test will be reported by jtreg as passed w/ a "sub-status" skipped and the exception's message as detail; this substatus is recognized by our test execution system, and all skipped tests are reported separately from passed-passed.

> Also, there are more than these 5 tests that check for platforms the "old way", so there is not going to be a coordinated effort to change them to the new way?
as I explained in another RFR, this cleanup is a spin off from my other work, I didn't plan to convert all cases. I will file RFEs to expand this and other cleanups, I doubt thought that I will be able to work on them, yet I'll be happy to assist whoever decides to work on them.