RFR(S) 8238585: Use handshake for JvmtiEventControllerPrivate::enter_interp_only_mode() and don't make compiled methods on stack not_entrant

Patricio Chilano patricio.chilano.mateo at oracle.com
Thu Feb 13 17:47:08 UTC 2020

Hi Richard,

I’m only commenting on the handshake changes.
I see that operation VM_EnterInterpOnlyMode can be called inside
operation VM_SetFramePop which also allows nested operations. Here is a
comment in VM_SetFramePop definition:

// Nested operation must be allowed for the VM_EnterInterpOnlyMode that is
// called from the JvmtiEventControllerPrivate::recompute_thread_enabled.

So if we change VM_EnterInterpOnlyMode to be a handshake, then now we
could have a handshake inside a safepoint operation. The issue I see
there is that at the end of the handshake the polling page of the target
thread could be disarmed. So if the target thread happens to be in a
blocked state just transiently and wakes up then it will not stop for
the ongoing safepoint. Maybe I can file an RFE to assert that the
polling page is armed at the beginning of disarm_safepoint().

I think one option could be to remove
SafepointMechanism::disarm_if_needed() in
HandshakeState::clear_handshake() and let each JavaThread disarm itself
for the handshake case.

Alternatively I think you could do something similar to what we do in
Deoptimization::deoptimize_all_marked():

   EnterInterpOnlyModeClosure hs;
   if (SafepointSynchronize::is_at_safepoint()) {
     hs.do_thread(state->get_thread());
   } else {
     Handshake::execute(&hs, state->get_thread());
   }
(you could pass “EnterInterpOnlyModeClosure” directly to the
HandshakeClosure() constructor)

I don’t know JVMTI code so I’m not sure if VM_EnterInterpOnlyMode is
always called in a nested operation or just sometimes.

Thanks,
Patricio