RFR 8187305: Add logging for shared library loads/unloads

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 20:04:40 UTC 2020

Hi Harold,

First off, thanks a lot for doing this!

Unfortunately, our wires got crossed with this. Matthias already added
tracing for shared library loading with "8228902: add os::dll_load to the
unified logging os category". He did not know about this issue and
therefore did not update it.

So arguably this issue is a duplicate of 8229802 and should have been
closed when 8229802 was pushed.

His solution is somewhat more complete since he also reports errors and
error details when a library could not be loaded. Since he does tracing in
platform dependent code he has more information to trace.

But he did not add tests, and I like your tests and it would be nice to
have them.

Just a proposal, but one possibility would be to remove your tracing from
jvm.cpp and change the category of the existing tracing Matthias did to
your new category "library". And use the tests to test the existing
tracing. What do you think?

Sorry again for the confusion and the redundant work!

Cheers, Thomas