RFR(L) 8237354: Add option to jcmd to write a gzipped heap dump

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Sat Feb 22 01:19:14 UTC 2020

Ralf and Christoph,

I agree that making it easy for the user is important, so dependency on
an external program like pgzip will be a hassle.

How about implementing the compression in a Java program? Will something
like this be too much of a hassle?

     jcmd $PID GC.dump -stdout | java -jar HeapDumpZipper.jar > heap.gz

This way, we can implement the exact compression algorithm as Ralf
described, without making it part of the VM. Writing it in Java probably
would be easier to maintain.

If it makes sense, we can include the Java code as part of the JDK, so
there's no need to ship a separate JAR file to the user.

     jcmd $PID GC.dump -stdout | java jdk.internal.heapdump.Zipper > heap.gz

Thanks
- Ioi