RFR(L) 8153224 Monitor deflation prolong safepoints (CR13/v2.13/16-for-jdk15)

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Jun 1 02:04:34 UTC 2020

Hi Dan,

I know we've moved in from this review cycle but I just wanted to flag
one thing in case it crops up in another context.

   inline bool ObjectMonitor::is_being_async_deflated() {
!   if (AsyncDeflateIdleMonitors &&
!       // Check first part of the async deflation dance:
!       owner_is_DEFLATER_MARKER() &&
!       // Check second part of the async deflation dance:
!       contentions() < 0 &&
!       // Check third part of the async deflation dance, i.e., the
!       // owner field is still DEFLATER_MARKER:
!       owner_is_DEFLATER_MARKER()
!      ) {
!     return true;
!   }
!   return false;
   }

It is not at all clear to me that there is anything in the definition of
Atomic::load (used to access _owner and _contentions) to force the
compiler to actually issue and check the second load of _owner in
owner_is_DEFLATER_MARKER().

Even the version before this one:

!   return AsyncDeflateIdleMonitors && owner_is_DEFLATER_MARKER() &&
contentions() < 0;

would seem to be missing a loadload() barrier of we actually must check
the dance steps in the order specified.

David
-----