RFR JDK-8232222: Set state to 'linked' when an archived class is restored at runtime

Jiangli Zhou jianglizhou at google.com
Thu Jun 4 22:14:01 UTC 2020

Hi David,

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 9:59 PM David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com> wrote:

> Ioi pointed out that my proposal was incomplete and that it would need
> to be more like:
>
> if (is_shared() &&
>      JvmtiExport::should_post_class_prepare() &&
>      !BytecodeVerificationLocal &&
>      loader_data->is_the_null_class_loader_data()) {
>      Handle h_init_lock(THREAD, init_lock());
>      ObjectLocker ol(h_init_lock, THREAD, h_init_lock() != NULL);
>      set_init_state(linked);
>      >>> call JVMTI
>      return true;
>    }
>
> This alleviates any concerns about behavioural changes to JVM TI, and
> also allows JVM TI enabled code to partially benefit from the
> pre-linking optimisation.
>
> Otherwise I agree with Ioi that any behaviour change to JVM TI needs to
> be justified by significant performance gains.

Thanks a lot for the input and suggestion! Locking the init_lock for
the JVMTI ClassPrepre event here sounds ok to me. The ClassDefine is
normally posted before the ClassPrepare. That's why the change was
made in systemDictionary.cpp instead of within
InstanceKlass::restore_unshareable_info() function, to keep the same
events ordering for any given class. I added the 'init_lock' locking
code for post_class_prepare(), and kept the code in
systemDictionary.cpp in webreve.03 below.  Not changing the JVMTI
events ordering feels safer to me. Would the following be ok to
everyone?

  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jiangli/8232222/webrev.03/

I also changed the InstanceKlass::restore_unshareable_info() to set
_init_state via set_init_state API as you suggested. We can get away
without locking the init_lock for setting the flag itself.

Best regards,

Jiangli