RFR: 8243470: [macos] bring back O2 opt level for unsafe.cpp

gerard ziemski gerard.ziemski at oracle.com
Mon Jun 8 18:18:15 UTC 2020

hi Vladimir,

My testing show no problem with the "-O2" flag, however, using just
"-Os" (i.e. dropping "-O1" from JvmOverrideFiles.gmk") shows about the
same performance as adding "-O2", and in fact it is slightly fastest for
the TestRandom use case:

-Os -O1 (the current default for unsafe.cpp) takes 196s

-Os (the default for most hotspot files) takes 158s

-O2 takes 161s

-O3 takes 161s

Can you reproduce my findings?

cheers