MetaSpace and StackMapTable

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Thu Jun 11 20:23:09 UTC 2020

Hi John,

The "jcmd <pid> GC.class_stats" command has been removed from JDK 15,
but it was available in JDK 8 ~ JDK 14. I tried a few programs with
earlier JDKs, and the amount of stackmap data is relatively small. For
example, JDK 8 + Eclipse shows:

$jcmd 13360 GC.class_stats StackMap,MethodAll,Total
[...]
              1761552  42443744 88741440 Total
                 2.0%     47.8%   100.0%
Index Super StackMap MethodAll    Total ClassName

So stackmaps are only 2% of all class meta data.

Since you see much a higher ratio (45MB StackMap out of 100MB
MethodAll), I wonder if your generated methods have a very large number
of local/stack variables at branch targets. Something like

     astore #100
     astore #101
     aload #..
     aload #..
     aload #..
     aload #..
     aload #..
     aload #..
     aload #..
x:

     if<xxx>  x

You will end up having a large stackmap at bytecode offset x.

If that's indeed the case, it will also affect the performance of
JIT-compiled code as well.

Thanks
- Ioi