RFR(S) 8246181: Avoid walking SymbolTable during -Xshare:dump

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Tue Jun 23 22:45:09 UTC 2020

Hi Yumin,

The changes look good.

I updated the bug description to the following:

     Walking the symbol table during static dump time is
     problematic (see JDK-8245264). Since all Symbols are marked
     as permanent during static dumping, we can just save all of
     them in a global array as they are created, and walk this
     array during the dump process.

I moved the original proposal into a comment in JDK-8246181. That proposal
should be implemented as part of JDK-8234693 (Consolidate CDS static and
dynamic archive dumping code)

Thanks
- Ioi