[aarch64-port-dev ] OpenJDK extension to AArch64 and Windows

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Jun 25 15:05:45 UTC 2020

On 25/06/2020 15:49, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Typically such efforts would become with a porting Project of their own,
> just as the aarch64-linux port did back in 2013 [1], as that allows a
> community of developers across organizations to start to collaborate
> around a shared repository, mailing list, etc. on a specific porting task.
>
> It also makes it easier to do so, by allowing the initial set of
> developers on the port to become committers on the new project from the
> start, without having to work their way up to 8 or more significant
> sponsored changes first [0]. So that's what I (with my Porting Group
> Lead hat on) would usually recommend that course for new ports.

That would be madness.

The Windows port to AArch64 is vastly simpler than the aarch64-linux
port by more than an order of magnitude, because the AArch64 back end
barely changes at all and the Windows (x86) part doesn't change very
much because it's mostly C++ code and the Windows APIs are pretty
stable.

The code as submitted by Microsoft is almost ready to go. Introducing
a whole lot of process at this stage would be entirely inappropriate
and greatly increase the work for both HotSpot developers and the
Microsoft porters.

--
Andrew Haley  (he/him)
Java Platform Lead Engineer