OpenJDK extension to AArch64 and Windows

Andrew Hughes gnu.andrew at redhat.com
Thu Jun 25 16:04:09 UTC 2020

On 25/06/2020 08:39, Alan Bateman wrote:
> On 24/06/2020 23:34, David Holmes wrote:
>> Hi Monica,
>>
>> Are you proposing a new project to introduce this new port into the
>> OpenJDK some time in the future?
> I think it will need a JEP at least. I could imagine doing some cleanup
> in advance, maybe also improvements to support cross building on
> Windows, to eliminate some of the noise from the patch.
>
> -Alan.

As I've commented on the bug [0], I don't think a new project is
necessary to provide OS support for an architecture port, when the port
already has its own project (aarch64-port), and the developers involved
in adding support are already working with the people involved in said
project. After all, the ppc-aix-port project seems to have branched out
quite happily beyond AIX ;-)

A JEP does seem appropriate though, so the work is listed in the release
notes of the next JDK release.

--
Andrew :)

Senior Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: ed25519/0xCFDA0F9B35964222 (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Fingerprint = 5132 579D D154 0ED2 3E04  C5A0 CFDA 0F9B 3596 4222