[15] RFR: 8248476: No helpful NullPointerException message after calling fillInStackTrace

Lindenmaier, Goetz goetz.lindenmaier at sap.com
Mon Jun 29 11:17:37 UTC 2020

Hi,

If changing the stack trace by calling fillInStackTrace in user code, the
NPE algorithm lacks the proper information to compute the message.
Thus, we must omit it after that call.

I implement this by checking for a call to fillInStackTrace at the bci
recorded in the exception.
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~goetz/wr20/8248476-NPE_fillInStackTrace-jdk15/01/

Is there any other way of changing the stack trace?  setStackTrace() is
no problem as it does not change the internal backtrace datastructure.

I'll push the change to jdk/submit and run it through our CI before pushing.

Best regards,
  Goetz.