RFR: 8255719: Zero: on return path, check for pending exception before attempting to clear it

Aleksey Shipilev shade at openjdk.java.net
Sun Nov 1 17:40:59 UTC 2020

Profiling shows we spend a lot of time trying to clear the pending exception at _return path, whereas it seldom is pending.

The additional problem with calling into `clear_pending_exception` is that inlining budget is depleted completely at that point in the compilation unit, and so we do the full outbound call.

There are other places where we clear pending exception unconditionally, but those places do seem to expect the exceptions to be there.

Commit messages:
 - 8255719: Zero: on return path, check for pending exception before attempting to clear it

 Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=986&range=00
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/986/head:pull/986