RFR: 8255741: Zero: print signal name in unhandled signal handler

Thomas Stuefe stuefe at openjdk.java.net
Mon Nov 2 10:49:56 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 10:15:24 GMT, Aleksey Shipilev <shade at openjdk.org> wrote:

> At least one test -- `runtime/Safepoint/TestAbortVMOnSafepointTimeout.java` -- fails on Zero with:
>
> # Internal Error (/home/shade/trunks/jdk/src/hotspot/os_cpu/linux_zero/os_linux_zero.cpp:250), pid=560280, tid=560281
> # fatal error: caught unhandled signal 4
>
> The test expects "SIGKILL (sent by kill)" in the test output.
>
> Additional testing:
>  - [x] `TestAbortVMOnSafepointTimeout.java` now passes on Linux x86_64 Zero.

Okay I guess, but note that I am currently rewriting all that coding for https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8255711 . Which would, as a side effect, fix this bug too.

(The real bug here is that we invoke fatal() instead of calling VMError::report_and_die(), which means we won't see the real register content from the fault point in the hs-err file).

See current draft: https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/982

Part of the change will be to heave fatal error handler invocation out of platform dependent up to shared code (and note how I took explicit care to preserve robot and cat on zero :) .

Cheers, Thomas