RFR: 8255756: Disabling logging does unnecessary work [v2]

Claes Redestad redestad at openjdk.java.net
Thu Nov 5 10:59:21 UTC 2020

> When disabling UL outputs - for example when shutting down the JVM - we are doing some unnecessary work:
>
> - we always disable all outputs in bulk, but the routine searches up outputs one by one in the LogTagSet output lists - instead we could just drop all nodes in these lists in one quick pass.
> - when finalizing for a JVM shutdown, it's unnecessary to update decorators
>
> While not technically startup this gets rid of some noise on JVM exit (~45k instructions) that show up when using full JVM executions as a proxy for startup testing (or when running many shortlived JVMs back-to-back).

Claes Redestad has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains 10 additional commits since the last revision:

 - clear should mimic remove_output and wait_until_no_readers before deleting nodes
 - Merge branch 'master' into disable_logging
 - Improve wording
 - Remove extra lines
 - Clean up and fix clear
 - Shortcut clearing of all outputs from tagsets
 - Shortcut clearing of all outputs from tagsets
 - Fix loop
 - Merge branch 'master' into disable_logging
 - Disabling logging outputs on exit does unnecessary work

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/1005/files/1b38bd77..e08bdfc6

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=1005&range=01
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=1005&range=00-01

  Stats: 10978 lines in 673 files changed: 5696 ins; 3531 del; 1751 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/1005/head:pull/1005