RFR: 8251158: Implementation of JEP 387: Elastic Metaspace [v9]

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 09:14:44 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 10:12 AM Richard Reingruber <rrich at openjdk.java.net>
wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Oct 2020 09:45:29 GMT, Thomas Stuefe <stuefe at openjdk.org> wrote:
>
> >> Let us ship this. Thanks for all your great work, great presentations
> and for doing all the tedious fixes.
> >
> >> Let us ship this. Thanks for all your great work, great presentations
> and for doing all the tedious fixes.
> >>
> >> /Leo
> >
> > Great, thank you too for your thorough review work!
>
> Hi Thomas, I'm currently working on a review. There are still many
> sections where you separate 2 lines of code with an
> empty line. My review is filling up with comments on that.

I prefer not to. Condensing the code as you propose would make the code
less readable. I took great care to preserve a readable flow.

I'm afraid this will hide the few other/real points
> therefore I'll stop annotating empty lines. Instead I'd like to ask you to
> look over each file changed (you cannot see
> it always in the diff on Github) and remove as many empty lines as
> possible to better match the existing style.

The existing style is inconsistent, it seems to be a matter of taste. You
can find examples for different styles throughout the hotspot code base.

Hotspot style guide says nothing about having to squeeze code together. On
the contrary:

<quote>
Whitespaces:
--
- Use good taste to break lines and align corresponding tokens on adjacent
lines.

`virtualSpaceNode.cpp` would be a good file to start with (e.g. lines 106
> and following, 280 and following). You could
> also grep for { followed by an empty line and } proceeded by an empty
> line. Thanks, Richard.

If it is important to you I will remove the empty lines even though I think
it hurts readability. But I am eager to ship this PR, so please let us
concentrate on real issues. If you have still concerns let us discuss those.

Cheers, Thomas