RFR: 8254799: runtime/ErrorHandling/TestHeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError.java fails with release VMs

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu Oct 15 00:21:43 UTC 2020

Hi Yumin,

On 15/10/2020 10:16 am, Yumin Qi wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 23:45:52 GMT, Jie Fu <jiefu at openjdk.org> wrote:
>
>> runtime/ErrorHandling/TestHeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError.java and
>> runtime/ErrorHandling/TestHeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryErrorInMetaspace.java fail with release VMs due to VerifyDependencies is
>> develop and is available only in debug version of VM.
>> -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions is added to fix it.
>
> For test using debug version, please use "@requires vm.debug" in test.

I disagree with that approach. The test is run for any release and this
is exec'ing the JVM directly so not controlled by an @test directive
directly. You would have to have two versions of the Java code to run on
release or debug VMs.

What Jie has done seems the best solution to me - a logical equivalent of

DEBUG_ONLY(-XX:-VerifyDependencies)

Cheers,