RFR: 8272447: Remove 'native' ranked Mutex [v3]

Coleen Phillimore coleenp at openjdk.java.net
Mon Aug 23 12:23:30 UTC 2021

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 04:58:29 GMT, David Holmes <dholmes at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Yes, it seemed easiest at the time. Replacing it with a ranked mutex is fine.
>
> I'm not at all sure why we would care about a gtest Mutex in terms of the ranking system?

We could make it a PlatformMutex if we don't care about ranking.  Having the "native" rank available to bypass the ranking system is very confusing (why on earth is it > max_nonleaf, for instance?) and tempts misuse.  The ranking system has been long standing technical debt that everybody on the project has complained about at one time or another, and this is a small cleanup to remove one part of that.