RFR: 8263028: Windows build fails due to several treat-warning-as-errors

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Tue Mar 30 11:57:02 UTC 2021

On 2021-03-29 16:44, Yi Yang wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 09:56:09 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <ihse at openjdk.org> wrote:
>
>> This could be done by: %comspec% runas /profile /user:yourotheruser "the_application_you_want_ to_run_in_english" or using the GUI (shift+right click on the icon, select Run as different user).
> Thanks for your investigations and kind suggestions. It is more troublesome to add new a user to the Chinese system and set its system locale to English. Instead of doing this, I prefer to directly change the system locale to English.
I understand that you find the easier to just change your local
settings. Could I nevertheless trouble you to try out the method
described above, i.e. to create a English locale user, and run the build
from a shell started by

%comspec% runas /profile /user:yourotheruser c:\cygwin64\bin\bash.exe

? If that works, I'd like to document it in the build manual as an
alternative for those who do not want to change the locale of their main
user account.

> You convinced me, I agree with you that stating these has far-reaching consequences and your internal test matrix will become incredibly heavy. However, I think we can add a section in the FAQ or other places in the building document to give a solution for such problems as much as possible, e.g.

I have opened https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8264425 about
updating the build documentation. I suggest that this PR/issue can now
be closed.

/Magnus