RFR: 8266530: HotSpot changes for JEP 306 [v3]

Joe Darcy darcy at openjdk.java.net
Fri May 7 20:34:29 UTC 2021

On Fri, 7 May 2021 10:34:49 GMT, David Holmes <dholmes at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Joe Darcy has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains three additional commits since the last revision:
>>
>>  - Merge branch 'master' into 8266530
>>  - Respond to review feedback.
>>  - 8266530: HotSpot changes for JEP 306
>
> test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/strictfp/AbstractStrictfpIntMethod60.jcod line 24:
>
>> 22:  */
>> 23:
>> 24: // Code below is equivalent to:
>
> If it is equivalent why do we need the jcod file? Presumably there is something here that differs from what the Java source would produce.

An "abstract strictfp" method would be rejected at the source level by a Java compiler, hence the jcod files.

Under the proposed language changes in JEP 306, the Java syntax around "strictfp" stays the same, including rejecting "abstract strictfp" method, but the floating-point semantics and defined to be (implicitly) always strict.