java 17 libsvml.so conflict with user app

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 23:43:40 UTC 2021

Hi all,

We're testing some of our code on Java 17 (17.0.1)/linux and hit an issue
related to libsvml.so.  It seems this library is now part of 17 to support
the (incubating) Vector API.  We have a java library backed (via JNI) by
NAG, which itself links against libsvml.so.  The issue arises due to
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError when our java library is trying to call into
a NAG function which in turn is looking for a certain symbol from libsvml
(__svml_exp2_ha_mask in particular).

It looks like the JDK is eagerly loading symbols from its packaged libsvml
(is there a way to disable that for now?).  That version of the library is
also in conflict with the one we want to load, as witnessed by the missing
symbol (there're probably others but we stopped testing at this point).

Is this a known issue/compatibility hazard? Happy to hear thoughts/opinions
on this and provide further info, if needed.

Thanks