RFR: JDK-8274320: os::fork_and_exec() should be using posix_spawn

Thomas Stuefe stuefe at openjdk.java.net
Fri Oct 29 10:47:10 UTC 2021

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 10:29:14 GMT, Martin Doerr <mdoerr at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Change looks technically good to me, but I can not judge if we can rely on async-signal-safety of posix_spawn. I guess we have to wait until glibc folks have discussed that.

Thank you Martin.

@dholmes-ora : do you have an idea how we could resolve this deadlock? Even with input from the glibc folks, a number of questions will remain unanswered (eg what about the other libcs).

Still, I think my patch would improve the situation, which is murky UB now and will remain somewhat murky. But I also think this is not worth many more brain cycles from either one of us, so if you prefer I can withdraw this PR. I am fine either way.

Cheers, Thomas