<i18n dev> Reading Linux filenames in a way that will map back the same on open?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 22:41:29 PDT 2008

Xueming Shen wrote:
> Obviously your locale setting is not being "exported"...what "shell" are
> you using?

It's bash.  I'm pretty sure it's exported, because env sees it, and env
isn't a shell builtin in bash (at least not yet :).

> You can try to set your locale to en_US.ISO8859-1 explicitly at command
> line first,
> type in "locale" to confirm that your locale is being set correctly to
> en_US.ISO8859-1,

Good clue:

$ export LC_ALL=en_US.ISO8859-1
dstromberg-desktop-dstromberg:~/src/equivs-j i486-pc-linux-gnu 11433 -
above cmd done 2008 Sat Sep 13 10:13 PM

$ locale
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_TIME="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_PAPER="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_NAME="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.ISO8859-1"
LC_ALL=en_US.ISO8859-1

It turned out I didn't have en_US.ISO-8859-1 configured on my system.
So I used this URL to get it set up:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=423039  I didn't make it my
default locale; I just made it a supported locale.

And now my program appears to work great, even with non-English
filenames - thanks folks!