<i18n dev> RFR :8023563: Bottleneck in java.util.TimeZone.getDefaultInAppContext

Seán Coffey sean.coffey at oracle.com
Mon Sep 2 08:47:11 PDT 2013

Performance regression reported where a high number of threads calling
TimeZone.getDefault can run into a bottleneck on AppContext accessor
calls. The bug ID is 8023563 but it's not visible on bugs.sun.com yet.

Turns out that we're unnecessarily going through the AppContext in
certain scenarios. Main aim is to use AppContext when using applets. We
should check for presence of security manager (along with loading for
AppContext class) in such cases.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coffeys/webrev.8023563/webrev/

This fix is not applicable to jdk8 as new code is currently being worked
on there which eliminates AppContext use.

Regards,
Sean.