<i18n dev> RFR: 8151876: (tz) Support tzdata2016d

Seán Coffey sean.coffey at oracle.com
Fri May 27 15:04:48 UTC 2016

I guess there's a low risk of timezone not being identified if being
parsed in through a formatter. Isn't such an approach discouraged though
? short IDs were already subject to change in tzdata releases. Ramanand
found one issue by removal of these resource strings (so far) and that's
captured in JDK-8157814

There's a decision to be made about how to use the GMT±hh:mm format for
new releases given IANA's new short ID identifier mechanism. I think
that could be discussed as a separate issue. I'd like to see us follow a
similar approach to IANA and use GMT identifiers on new timezones and
perhaps even consider using the IANA long name format also for the
getDisplayName(..) calls that can be made. e.g. "Asia/Almaty" instead of
"Alma-Ata Time"

Regards,
Sean.